Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

A well known company here in california repo my car. I paid

Customer Question

A well known company here in california repo my car. I paid the fees to the well known company to get my car back.
The Well known company refused to give me the name & address of the independent towing company, all they gave me, was a name & phone number on a piece of paper.
After communcating with at least 5 different harassing-threating people who work for this towing company I got my car back. Is it Illegal that the well known company held this info on the towing company?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

It is not illegal. The "Independent towing Company" may be operating from a private residence and because of the nature of the job, this "well known company" may have withheld the information as to the towing company's address for security and safety reasons.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, is it legal to be harassing and dealing with 3/4 different people tyring to extort you for more money to get my car back?
I've no name/address of this company, but, they want money?

No, it is not legal for a company to harass you when you were trying to get your car back. If you have paid more than you owed to get the car back, then you need to send a demand letter to your lender (your car finance company), not the repo company, for refund of the overpayment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, Mr. Phillips, I've another question, i did some research on the towing company and found the main office is located in Riverside, Ca. When I picked my car up, it was here in Sun Valley, Ca. in a closed/business open lot.
I could've just, got into my car and just drove off would that be consider auto theft?

This follow-up question is beyond the scope of your initial post. The policy of this site requires that you open a new thread for this new question.