P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16+ yrs. of legal experience.
11181181

Signed a timeshare agreement Oct 12 and was not able to

Customer Question

Signed a timeshare agreement Oct 12 and was not able to fully review with advisors until Oct 19-20. Document says I have 7 days from "acceptance" by signature etc. We feel this was a mistake and wish to rescind. Your opinion?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

I am sorry for this dilemma.

In Texas, you have the right to cancel a timeshare contract so long as you do it before the sixth day after the date
1. you sign and receive a copy of the purchase contract, or
2. receive the required timeshare disclosure statement, whichever is later (Tex. Prop. Code Ann. § 221.041).

If you signed the contract and received the disclosure statement on the 12? Under TX law you have till the 18th to cancel.

If you did not cancel by the 18th? It is too late to exercise this right...you no longer have the right to rescind.
This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that the time starts when you were able to fully review the contract, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.