Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I lost my house 7 years ago. (2007) The bank that held my

Customer Question

I lost my house 7 years ago. (2007) The bank that held my first and second (both used to move in with, NOT a post-move in equity loan) have registered my foreclosure for the first as final in 2011 and the second in 2014. A new family had purchased the house no later than 2009.
I would like to get the bank to correct these dates in their accounts and my credit history how do I go about doing that?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You need to send a demand letter pursuant to the Fair Credit Reporting Act to the credit bureaus and the bank as well and you need to state you are attaching proof that the dates they are reporting on your credit report are incorrect. Tell them that pursuant to the FCRA you are demanding the dates be corrected and if they refuse to do so within 30 days you will have no choice but to sue them for the damages the inaccurate reporting is causing you and your attorney's fees as provided for under the FCRA and you will also file a complaint with the federal trade commission (http://www.ftc.gov) for their violation of the FCRA.