Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

My bank has been taking out a check card purchase years of

Customer Question

My bank has been taking out a check card purchase for several years of $13.99 that was not authorized. I asked the bank to identify the company and after some difficulty they gave me a name of an home improvement company. The company has no record of me when i called them. What are my options now other than as them to re-emburse me? I can imagine that they are doing this to millions of customers, it needs to be stopped.
David XXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXX
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Daniel,

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Unfortunately, the only legal recourse here is to get reimbursed for the money they took from your account without consent. If you can prove that they maliciously used your debit card rather than it being a mistake or someone ELSE using your card to sign up for the company, it may be possible to request punitive damages in court - but that's extremely difficult to prove. Debit cards have many protections on them that would stop a company from just guessing or inputting random card numbers in order to take money from people. You'd need a lawyer to subpoena their records and go through them, which could be very time consuming and expensive.

The best thing for you to do, if you haven't already, is to cancel your card so that if someone else signed up for this product on your behalf, they won't be able to use your card number again for future purchases. It's important to take that step to protect yourself, because if someone else is using your card and you know about it, the bank might not reimburse you if they make other purchases you didn't authorize.

You can try reaching out to others online and see if this has happened to other people. But to bring any sort of class action against the company, you'd need reason to believe this is a widespread problem affecting many consumers and not just a mistake. You'll need evidence of other, similarly affected people before you can file a class action lawsuit against the company.