CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
71563194

I bought a 2000 watt Westinghouse generator on October 1.

Customer Question

I bought a 2000 watt Westinghouse generator on October 1. This evening, I started the generator and was only running 3 lights and a phone charger, totalling less than 300 watts being used. The generator stopped running after about 10 minutes. When I went to restart it, it was siezed up and will not start. Is there some law that protects a consumer in a situation like this, or am I out the $700 I spent on it less than 21 days ago?
Frustratedin Alaska
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Return policies are specific to the store that you purchased the item at. There is no state law requiring that the store provide a return, but if the store does offer returns - you can enforce this policy under contract law (in small claims court: http://www.courtrecords.alaska.gov/webdocs/forms/sc-100.pdf).

With an item like this it is also almost certainly going to be covered by a manufacturer's warranty as well - check your item and the packaging for any manufacturer's warranty that would cover this kind of defect. (A return policy would be faster, but a manufacturer warranty will get you a repair or replacement of the damaged device or part). You can usually find copies of these policies online at the manufacturer's website.