Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I entered into a medical plan with a hospital in San,

Customer Question

I entered into a medical plan with a hospital in San Jose, California - to pay $68 for 24 months to clear my son's emergency bill and every month the agreed amount is being deducted from my credit card. But twice the hospital sent me bills and both the times I called up the hospital to clear up the confusion and they promised that they would not bother me again. But today I got the same bill from a collections agency.I have had a great credit score (780 ) and now my credit history will go bad because of the hospital's mistake.. can I sue the hospital for accounting negligence and subsequent mental agony and bad credit rating
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You need to contact the hospital to clear up the error. If the hospital acts very quickly to clear this up, your credit will not be affected. If the hospital drags its heels and your account is reported as collections account, then that derogatory information would affect your credit score. You can then sue the hospital for ruining your credit. However, you must show damages you have suffered in order to get anything from the hospital.

In the meantime, you need to contact the collections agency and let them know that you are actually on a payment plan for the debt and the amount is being taken out from your bank account every month. DO NOT GIVE YOUR BANK INFORMATION TO THE COLLECTIONS AGENCY.