Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have a claim opened with Travelers and they are not

Customer Question

I have a claim opened with Travelers and they are not willing to pay the total amount due to the other vendors used in the claim and I am getting collection calls from them. Travelers is saying that since I hired them that I am responsible for that. I only hired the water mitigation company once I was told that my insurance claim had been approved, and I needed to have the water mitigation company in the house to do the moisture reading. Travelers is also refusing to pay the contractor for the work done. Now I am also getting billed for that too. So, used my homeowners insurance claim for water damage and now I may end up with Mechanic liens on my house. Do I have any protection, Just because is a large company no one is able to touch them??
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You need to file complaint with your state's department of insurance/insurance commissioner. In the alternative, you may retain the services of a local consumer Attorney to file lawsuit against Travelers for unfair and deceptive act and practice for refusing to pay for a claim that it approved. You can use the following sites to find local consumer Attorneys:

Consumeradvocates.org

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Findlaw.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I filed the complain already with the insurance commissioner but she said that she is unable to do anything since Travelers has not submitted their file and pretty much that she was too busy with a lot of other complaints with different insurance companies. My claim is too small that no attorney is willing to take my case. I am already writting to the supervisor. I know, I won't get anywhere with him because of my previous experience with him. I have been unable to get the email of the Reginal Manager. They have their personnel very well trained to protect them from any access with the insured. I have been advised to either go to the media and to file a complaint with the head office. Your advice were things that I have already tried. It was nothing new that I have not tried yet.
All I know is that I got too much at stake to just do nothing. So, I hope to God that someone along the road will accept and pay the the difference due.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oops I meant to say that I just hope to God that someone in Travelers will accept and approve to pay the difference due to these companies.

Hello: I did not know that you had already tried what I suggested since you did not mention them in your initial post. I would not have responded to your post had I known that you had already tried what I was about to suggest. In any event, I have no other suggestions except that you can file the lawsuit yourself.

Goodluck with your case,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much more can you help me. I am thinking that what I would like to know if you are able to review my letters. The one to the supervisor and the one to the home office to the complaint dept. Is this something that you can offer. I know that you want me to add you to talk live and pay an extra fee. Which I must be careful since I'm on a fixed income
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are these communications costing more money?Please be upfront about the fees and how help can you give me. Tganks

Hello: No, I do not want to speak with you on the phone because I do not offer "additional services" at this time.

No, I cannot review the letters for you because that would amount to giving you legal advice.

I do not handle billing issues. I am only a site user just like you. However, posting on the same thread does not cost you extra money. Also, the person answering your questions DOES NOT get paid until you give a positive rating to his/her response. So, I have not been paid for responding to your post since you have not give a positive rating to any one of my responses.

In any event, I do not have anything else to add. So, I am going to opt out and give another Attorney the opportunity to further assist you.

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oops. Ok. I'm sorry. But, frankly I really don't feel that I got any where in my communications here.
I'm still at a loss. I guess this is just something that I will have to do on my own. Thank you.