Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I bought a Nissan pathfinder (1991), said it was smogged,

Customer Question

i bought a Nissan pathfinder (1991), said it was smogged, DMV said i had to smog it, it failed 3 times before it passed, now, isn't seller responsible for smog? I've paid $688.00 for it to pass smog, doesn't he owe me that money back?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Under California law, a person who sells a vehicle that is more than 4 years old is required to provide a valid smog certificate at the time of the sale. If the seller did not do that, then he is required to reimburse you for the full cost of having the vehicle smogged. Cal. Veh. Code, Section 5751.5. $688 is the price he pays for not following the law in the first place. Here is more information from the CA DMV.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/smogfaq

These cases are typically brought in Small Claims Court. When you win, the judge will also order him to pay your filing fees. Here are the forms and instructions. These are state-wide forms, check to see if your county has their own online.

http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-smallclaims.htm

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.