Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
11068102

I am going to court tomorrow. debt collection The law firm

Customer Question

I am going to court tomorrow. For a debt collection The law firm that is suing me the first contact with me last year around August 2014. I received a notice of meeting with the magistrate in Dec 2014 the week before Christmas. I filed a somewhat answer within the 20 day limit. Have not heard anything since. My question is since this law firm said their client was Citibank back in August 2014 how can I find out if they still have a contract with Citi to collect
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Usually you use discovery to get a copy of the contract/agreement whereby they have the right to collect the debt.

If you have court tomorrow for the actual final hearing then all you can do is ask whoever they put on the witness stand to provide some type of proof that they have the right to collect on the debt.

If for some reason your hearing gets delayed then you can send them discovery.