Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I received a letter from Office of Personnel Management

Customer Question

I received a letter from Office of Personnel Management concerning a malicious cyber intrusion carried out against the US Government that I am part of. They want me to register using the provided 25 number pin. Is this legit? To register I must provide to myIDcare a product of IDExperts all my personnel info ie......address, ssn, phone number etc. I can do this on line. The letter is from Beth F. Cobert, Acting Director, OPM.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

No, this is not legitimate.

The Office of Personnel Management manages civil servants of the US government. They do not investigate criminal activity. Also if you were a suspect in such an event, you would get a visit from the FBI.

This is a letter from a scammer, that is meant to scare you into giving your personal information online. In the "registration," they would get your full name, DOB, SSN, address, possibly financial information - more than enough to steal your identity.

THIS IS A SCAM. IGNORE.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!