Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My aunt had a kidney stone a few weeks ago. She doesnt have

Customer Question

My aunt had a kidney stone a few weeks ago. She doesnt have insurance. We went to a clinic and paid. Later they sent us to a hospital to do a scan to see how big the stone was. Upon arrivel I asked the guy how much that would cost and he said he couldnt
say anything that billing woild send the bill home. The exam took us 3 minutes. We just got a bill of 10,380.00 and uninsured discount of 2,595.00 total is 7,785.00. She does not have that kind of money. I wonder what can be done in a situation like this.
Thank you so much. (They say we can call for a payment plan)
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is also a 301.00 bill for the doctor who performed the exam. By the way, the hospital refuses to give us the exam and says they sent it to the clinic.
I just wish if anything, since we didn't know about this "absurd" cost, that we could pay the exam over time.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

F

First and foremost, if you being charged for the exam, you must be given the result of the exam. You cannot pay or make arrangement for an exam that you have not seen or that has not been explained to you (your aunt) by your doctors.

Second, you can dispute the bill with the billing department. If you are not getting anywhere with the billing department, ask to speak with the Patients and Families Advocate at the hospital. This department can get the billing department to be reasonable with the bill.

If all fails, you may make a payment plan or refuse to pay it. If your aunt has no assets that a debt collector can go after, then she does not have anything to worry about.