Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney 40 plus years private practice. Real Estate, Wills, Trusts, Injury claims. Still active.
18215332

I'm having trunks with JCP&L who are trying to remove an

Customer Question

I'm having trunks with JCP&L who are trying to remove an electrical wire that has been in place for over 39 years, and they want to attach it to the front of the house above the front door. There are other options but they refuse to discuss. I already accepted one of their solutions but the later withdrew it.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm having trouble with JCP&L who are trying to remove an electrical wire that has been in place for over 39 years, and they want to attach it to the front of the house above the front door. There are other options but they refuse to discuss. I already accepted one of their solutions but the later withdrew it. Their attorney is saying the are not willing to meet me at the house to discuss other viable options.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

What is your question about the situation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are obvious other options available rather than attaching the wire directly above the front door but they are not willing to entertain them. Although the option they have provided is certainly the cheapest for them.I want to know what rights I have here. The property is rented right now and I feel like that will affect the asthetics of the property (and also the value) for future renters or buyers. Is it right that the utility can do whatever they want? They are not willing to meet me at the property to discuss and have been wholly uncooperative. They have informed me that if I do not give the go ahead for them to do this they will cut off the power to the house.
Do I have options? Do they have to follow any kind of code of conduct? I feel like I have been bullied around by a giant utility with no consideration for my property.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

The only thing you can do is file your complaint with the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities. Here is their contact information. There are several areas that you can select there which appeal with customer service and residential matters. If the utility board won't help you out, then you are stuck with the decision of the local utility. It would cost you a great deal of money to fight them in court over this issue.