Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.
17897874

I bought a used car at a used car lot yesterday. I expected

Customer Question

I bought a used car at a used car lot yesterday. I expected that I was going to a person home as the advertisement on craigslist had lead me to believe . Any how after driving over I got out to take a look. What I found to my surprise was a very clean auto that drove great. I remarked how clean it was and I was told it had just came in and they did very little work on it.
I'm 65 and disabled It would be very difficult for me to look under the car, besides it all seemed good. I bought the car for a price that was worthy of ( very clean and no mechanical issues) with an as is warranty.
I dove home and the tail pipe was dragging. So I got under the car. What I found was very disturbing. I don't what this car and I would not want to trade or deal with these people.
I feel that this dealer is a master of deception.
Do I have any rights.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, under Ohio law, when you purchase a car as-is you are basically letting the seller off the hook for any maintenance problems which may exist at the time of the sale or may develop shortly after. Assuming the seller has not switched out equipment or rolled back the odometer, they have no liability to you for any problems with the vehicle once you drive it off the lot.

That is why many people who buy an as-is vehicle will insist, before they buy, that it be inspected by their own mechanic.

You can file a consumer complaint with the state attorney general. They will investigate and take appropriate action.

I hope this is helpful in answering your question even if it was not the answer you were hoping to receive. If you have more follow up questions please let me know. It is never a problem.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?