Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

A door to door salesman from AT&T came to my house to

Customer Question

A door to door salesman from AT&T came to my house to offer TV and Internet service. On Oct 05. To make the long story short. He told me that He needed to verify that I did not owe any money to AT&T before they could offer me the service that we agreed
to. So He handed me the tablet for me to input my Social Security. I did and then returned the tablet to him so that he could verify that I did not owe any money to AT&T. Because I have credit monitoring I received yesterday and email stating that someone
inquired my credit report, after I looked I saw AT&T as the inquirer. During the time that the representative was at my door He never mentioned anything about that they needed to run my credit report. It did not game him my consent to run my credit. This happened
in Florida. Is this legal, anything that could be done for misleading me to provide my Social for one purpose and used for another one. Thanks.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

A creditor/lender/entity is supposed to request permission prior to doing a HARD PULL on one's credit (which is what this was). A hard pull remains as a sign that someone looked at the credit file. However, he can easily simply claim that you gave him verbal permission to do this. Although he was misleading (implying that the check was with an internal AT&T system as opposed to a credit check), he can claim that he stated "credit check." It would be your word against his, which makes for a weak case. Honestly, this may simply not be worth your time. You can file a COMPLAINT with the BBB and the Attorney General's office, but a private lawsuit is likely simply not practical.

However, it is very easy to challenge and get rid of this HARD PULL. Let me know if you'd like information on how to do so.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.'

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith by rating me positively.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response.
I am pretty sure he used the same tactic with other neighbors in the community. But like you mention it would be my word against his.Could you please provide who to contact to get rid of this one credit check.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

You would have to challenge it with each credit bureau. See here:

https://www.transunion.com/dispute

https://www.experian.com/disputes/main.html

https://www.ai.equifax.com/CreditInvestigation/home.action

The credit bureau has thirty days to investigate your dispute and respond to you, in writing, with the results of the investigation. Any data you provided about the inaccuracy of the information will be forwarded to the creditor. The creditor is then required to respond back to the bureau. Then, the bureau makes an arbitrary decision based on the evidence provided. If the bureau agrees with you, the credit history is taken off. Also, if the creditor does not respond, then the bureau makes a default decision in your favor. Once the investigation is complete, the credit bureau will provide you with the results, along with a free copy of your credit report if the dispute resulted in a change. You can request that the credit bureau send a correction notice to any company that accessed your credit report within the past six months.

Most parties do not bother even responding to a challenge of a credit check.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.