Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I own a computer from a local computer store called PC

Customer Question

I own a computer from a local computer store called PC Latops. I have a lifetime service warranty with them. I picked up my computer from their store on Friday. I have found evidence of them accessing personal files they had no business accessing. When I picked up my computer, one of their associates, whom I had never met before, looked at my laptop, then at me, and asked the person helping me, "Is this Robert Madsen?" The other associate nodded and nothing else was said. I brushed it off until I got home. I got on my laptop and noticed that my default video player was on mute (which it was not when I brought it in, and I also noticed that there was a file downloaded into my downloads folder (nothing suspicious, probably something they needed to fix my computer). My issue is, is that inside my download folder, where they would have had to go to access the file they downloaded, were some videos that are not only embarrassing, but had thumbnails that I could see drawing someone with little ethics curiosity. That fact, along with that my video player was on mute, and the comment of the employee I didn't know, has led me to suspect that they not only watched those videos, but were discussing them and me. Also, when I got home, I had changed my wifi password ***** my laptop was in the shop because of security concerns. When I got it home, I had to go into the settings on my computer that show all wifi connections that have been made with my laptop so I could delete mine and reconnect with the new password. Three of them were of no concern. Two of them were mine and the ones I needed to change the passwords for, the other was pc laptops wifi. But there were three that I am very concerned about. I have never conneted to a wifi network outside my home, I never leave my home with my laptop except to take it in for service. In my wifi connections history are the following connections. 1. Marriot-Guest 2. Marriot-Lobby 3. Marriot-Conference. Now I do not see how these connections would be on my laptop unless someone from PC Laptops took it there. No one else has used it. My question is, I know this is un-ethical behavior, is it illegal. Either way, what should I do from here. I have a lifetime service agreement with a company I no longer trust. Any advice would be appreciated.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

It is invasion of privacy and it is computer hacking and it is grounds to sue the company for breach of contract and also for the invasion of privacy and seek damages from the company for their breach. You have grounds to sue them and seek the damages and also to terminate the contract with them and seek a refund from them for the money you paid them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to take legal action, I have been a loyal customer of theirs for over 8 years, I have purchased multiple computers from them, and now I feel that I can't trust them. The problem is I am on disability, live with my parents, and we don't have the money to hire an attorney. I knew what they did was unethical, but do you know of a legal advisor who would take on a case like this based on them only getting paid if damages are won?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here I am attempting to send a picture of the wifi connections

Thank you for your reply.

All attorneys negotiate their own prices, so many will negotiate with you for payment plans and you can find them at the same sites used by other attorneys, http://www.hg.org or http://www.lexumundi.com

A consumer protection law attorney would likely be the best type tp assist you.locally.