Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18+ years of NYS litigation experience.
18321761

I have been notified by supposedly Agents in the Federal

Customer Question

I have been notified by supposedly Agents in the Federal Trade commision that Ihave won a Sweepstakes offered by Publishers international -- I suppossidly talked to three Agents Alan Cortez, Jeffry ortz,John Shanks then Supposedly talked to A agent of
the federal trade commison Eddie Bauer -- Then I called the Publishers Sweepstakes office in las Vegas -- I spent the whole day on the phone trying to determine if this is for real --- I have joined a lot of sweepstakes but i never keeped trake of which ones
any way the story is that since I never responded to two attempts to reach me i was just about to loose hte award. But in order to recieve the award I had to put up the INSURANCE BOND FOR HTE AWARD 1200 dollars -- The money I believe will go to a person or
persons in San Hose in the Carribbean I believe. -- her is the kicker is this for real I talked to supposedly 3 Federal trade commision AGent in DC -- I had there phone numbers there names are***** --Jeffry Ortiz -- John Schanks -- Then I supposedly
talked to the federal trade commision a man named Eddie Bauer--then I talked to a man in Las Vegas who was at the sweepstakes headquarters in las VEgas ------ My question to you is --- is this Sweepstakes real --- Publishers International --I believe Have
you Ever heard of the Indiviuals names I mentioned an are you familiar with thesephone numbers(###) ###-####---(###) ###-####-- or Andy Bauer at212(###) ###-####Publishers International at(###) ###-####IS this Sweep stakes a scam -- they have gone through a lot
of trouble to get 1200 $ from me to have the Money delivered then on deleivery the 1200 will be cancelled -- an the award is supposedly delieverd by LOLYDS OF LONDON Do you get all that
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed. Okkay can you call me now at(###) ###-####cell I need an anwer no not a day from now
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, no, this sweepstakes is not for real. No legitimate contest requires an up front fee of any sort in ordert to collect winnings. When you are the real winner of a sweepstakes, the prize is already yours. Any transfer expenses get taken out of your money on the contest end, and you get all the rest of it when you show proof that you entered the contest.

Scammers always want you to believe that you can win a contest just by living, breathing, and having the right mobile phone number or email address, but you cannot. You must always enter a contest to win it. And you must always show proof of your entry to be able to claim your prize. Without that, they won't give it to you. That's how real contests prevent fraud.

If you did enter it, you would have your half of the entry form with your number information on it. If you don't have it you cannot win or claim it. Also, there is no such thing as an international sweepstakes or lottery. That's an immediate sign of a scam. Different countries' regulations make a legitimate contest a legal impossibility.

US Federal agencies/agents have nothing to do with the disbursement of contest awards and have absolutely nothing to do with the Caribbean, where they lack any jurisdiction at all. A US contest run out of Las Vegas would be reached in Las Vegas, not on some island outside of US borders.

The Better Business Bureau warns consumers of the Publisher's International fraud here.

Hang on to your money. This is a fraud and you will see no winnings. Report the scam to the FBI at IC3.gov and the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov. The only way you'll get back any money you spent is if the authorities can find these folks and bring them to justice.

I am very sorry to be the bearer of bad news.