Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

My vehicle was possessed after I lost my job. I tried to

Customer Question

My vehicle was possessed after I lost my job. I tried to work with them several times before it went into this phase. When I had the money to catch up my 3 month late payments, they refused my payments. I talked with the credit union representative prior to them taking the vehicle to try again to straighten it out. He said I was better off letting them take the vehicle, it was the security against the loan and that would be the end of it.
]
No 5: Pursuant to the Agreement, the Defendant granted to Plaintiff a security interest in a 2001 Ford F150 as security for all amounts owed by Defendant. How then can I owe them anything.
One day after the purchase the truck broke down and had to be towed to the place of purchase at my expense($250.00) and they had it for 30 days. I tried that day to cancel the agreement and they would not let me out of it. It also came to light that the truck did not qualify for the extended warranty I paid $2500.00 for at time of purchase and they had to deduct it from the loan. I realize now that is probably when I should have gotten a lawyer.
Now they are asking me to pay $$9,533.62 which is far more than the vehicle price of $7000.00. The picked it up in fall of 2014 and are charging me costs up to March 14, 2015 which is even after they sold the vehicle for $800.00 at auction.
I also put $4,000.00 down to obtain the loan.
What is my responsibility in this matter.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

You would be liable for the balance on your agreement but you need to get credit for all payments made, resale revenues.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Company may not seek to double dip and collect from you and from another source, meaning it cannot collect more than contracted and has to credit you with all payments received from you and all other sources. If does not, you may pursue complaint in court and with attorney general office.