Samuel-II
Samuel-II, Lawyer
Experience:  Practice of law for 20 years
10707909

My husband is turning 65 in October. I am the main

Customer Question

My husband is turning 65 in October. I am the main breadwinner of the family due to him being disabled. I have health insurance at my job that of course covers his health care. He will now receive Medicare and we are being bombarded with offers for different
additional coverages. My questions are: 1.) Is Medicare Coverage Primary or Secondary? 2.) With my State Insurance Coverage do we need those additional coverages? 3.) If so which ones? Sorry if I pick wrong area of coverage.Thanks,
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Persons become eligible for Medicare at age 65. Part A is free. And in that regard, you should consider taking that. Part A covers hospitalization.

There is a monthly premium for Part B and that is for medical insurance. I suggest you ask your benefits manager or human resources department how your employer insurance works with Medicare and then confirm this information with the Social Security Administration (SSA) and Medicare. Be aware that when you qualify for Medicare, your employer insurance may start to work differently for you. You will need to figure out whether paying for both types of coverage will be useful in offsetting your health care costs.

Once you discuss it with your HR/benefits manager, you will be able to decide how to proceed.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have reviewed the SSA web-site and you are correct in stating we should, have, and taken part B insurances for a little over $100 per month. If I understand my research and interpretation of the SSA site - my group will pay first and then medicare. But, when I ask the doctors office ahead of his visit - they stated, Medicare Always pays first. Hence the purpose of my first question - conflicting data received and reviewed. Is Medicare Primary or Secondary in coverage? Then my second question refers to the other insurances - prescription coverage. If he is on my health insurance do I still need a prescription coverage from Medicare?
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 1 year ago.

I suggest that since he is not yet 65, your insurance is the primary. If you opt in on the Part B, then it will be your Primary and our insurance would be a secondary to pick up where Medicare leaves off IF you have it amended with your employer to make it that way. That is why you need to discuss this with your HR Benefit director