Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience in Consumer Protection law, in particular construction law and auto repo law
20355756

A vehicle that I bought yet had not transferred into name

Customer Question

A vehicle that I bought yet had not transferred into name was stolen in Arizona. Before going home to California an effort to file a report with law enforcement was denied due to lack of paperwork which proves I bought vehicle. The Deputy said that I should call him with Vin # ***** arriving home. After doing so, he called saying that the car wasn't in the system... So he then sent me a Stolen Car Affidavit and said that that would need to be filled out first. When he said he could not find car. I began my own investigative work... I discovered that it had be impounded within a day or so of where it had been left in parking lot of business establishment. The deputy is on a week off a week. What might be your thoughts on this matter? Gratitude to you from, James
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Need to make clear that vehicle was left a business and appears to have been stolen from there and do not know when exactly or where vehicle was found... Only know from Vin # ***** that it was impounded on 9/6/2015. Vehicle was left at business on 9/5/2015. Was told by deputy on 9/8 or 9/9/2015 that the vehicle was not in the system... Is this how things work... The victim has to figure things out for themselves. I thought that law enforcement role is that of a "public servant" when it appears that they are truly "Executive Officers" - jbdp
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

HELLO there JDBP --

-

I am sorry for the experiences that you seem to have had the hands of law enforcement regarding the car. Do you have any specific legal questions this morning for me regarding the car and what happened to you?

-

If so, can you also clarify the purchase of the car? You live in CA -- did you purchase it online and expect delivery from AZ? Or did you travel to AZ to purchase the car and then it was stolen? If you can give me a little more information together with any questions that yo u might have in addition to your comments above. I would be happy to proceed with answering you and giving you some suggestions regarding what to do next (if there is anything that you can do).

-

THANKS