Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I brought my car to a service facility, that facility moved,

Customer Question

I brought my car to a service facility, that facility moved, and eventually the owner walked away form his business, and his building lease. My car was on of 8 vehicles that were left at the rental property. I was never contacted that I should pick up my car due to the business going out of business. The landlord has taken my car and has it in his storage facility. He now wants me to pay him a storage fee/penalty to get my car back.
I feel he has no legal right to charge me because I never had any business with him. He would have to go to the former business owner for any fee he feels he is due.
Am I thinking about this correctly?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

This will depend on timing; can you tell me, how long ago did you bring your car to be repaired? How many days or weeks ago?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I brought the car in July 2013. As far as i know the shop went out of business sometime in 2014. I was informed by the former owner in May of 2015 when I asked him about progress on my car. He had thought all people were notified.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

So this begs the question? You brought the car into years ago; why has it taking you so long to resolve this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had an agreement with the owner that I was not in a big hurry, because I had no where to store the car when I was done. I was assuming he was still working on it.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Tell me this, how long ago did this new company take over the property? How many weeks or months ago?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was the same owner. He moved from one location to the new location. I think it was late 2013 or early 2014
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, you said:

brought my car to a service facility, that facility moved, and eventually the owner walked away form his business, and his building lease. My car was on of 8 vehicles that

How long ago did that happen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think he walked away from his business in June or July 2014.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. So to clarify it took you over a year to contact the new owner to retrieve your car?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no new owner of the business. I contacted the landlord that rented out the property. He is the one who has the car now. I know the amount of time seams strange, but I was in no hurry to get the car back, and it kind of slip my mind.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I'm going to opt out and allow other experts to weigh in on this question. Please do not respond as that would only increase the amount of time for the new expert to take an answer your question.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR as your previous contributor had to leave.

When someone who has rented a business and abandons that business lease and leaves property on the premises, the landlord has a right to confiscate the property. If the owner of the property claims that property the landlord must release the property but may charge storage fees. However, the person who abandoned your car and business would be liable to you for the costs of the storage incurred and for letting the landlord confiscate your car and abandoning it without notice.

It is not the landlord's fault the business owner abandoned the car and it was not the landlord's duty to notify the owners of the cars legally. It was the business owner's duty to notify the customers he had a contract with. So, your suit here is against the business owner who walked away and abandoned your car without giving you notice and to get your car you have to pay the landlord for storage and then sue the business owner for reimbursement.