Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed in PA & NJ, Experienced attorney.
18572087

I signed a contract with a wireless company. It's a 6-month

Customer Question

I signed a contract with a wireless company. It's a 6-month term with auto renewal. They also require 30-day notice.
We've decided to change wireless company, and gave our 30-day notice. It turned out, we got auto renewed last week. They won't budge, and would like us to pay the remaining 5 months.
How can we dispute? The terms seem unfair.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

If I may ask, how exactly did you give your notice? Was it in writing, email, phone? Please advise.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
email

Did you get confirmation of acceptance? Also, did the contract state that notice by email is sufficient?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but their contract person said we have signed the auto-renewal 6 month term
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we should pay the remaining 5 months.

Did you sign anything like that from what you remember, or no?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but I am not protected by some law?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
basically, there's only a small window for you to cancel your account....which is the 5th month....if you cancel any sooner then you have to pay the remaining month. sent you the file.

There is no law that simply permits you (or anyone for that matter) to simply cancel a contract, unless there is a specific law for a specific type of contract that permits early termination, or if the contract is somehow illegal or void. But if you signed a contract, that signature is binding. There is no taking back a signature once given, unless the other party chooses to agree and void the terms. But in general if you signed a renewal, you cannot change your mind even 2 minutes later unless the contract itself has language that allows you to change your mind. And if there is a small window, that is controlling, and the courts likewise uphold such conditions.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.