Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I took my car to uhaul in Idaho to install a brake

Customer Question

Hello, I took my car to uhaul in Idaho to install a brake controller. When I went to pick it up it would not start. Had it towed to Honda dealer for repair. The dealer had the car for one week repairing the main wire harness which was drilled into by the uhaul mechanic. They told me they would fix what they had broken. They paid 2,700 and part of my rental car expenses. The dealer, Middlekauff did not properly repair the car. They spliced and taped the wires rather than replacing them. The radio is out, windshield wipes are sporadic and headlights not working properly. I took the car to the Acura dealer in Eugene and they recommended replacing the wire harness for obvious reasons. The wiring system is too complicated to retrace and reconnect. Neither Middlekauff nor uhaul has been willing to step up and take care of this. Kendall auto in Eugene estimated repair cost to replace the harness at $1200. Thank you much, Peyton
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If Uhaul caused this damage by improperly installing the brake controller, then they are liable for all of the damages that you have incurred and the dealer is also liable to you for doing negligent repair work as well. So you need to send a letter to both the dealer and the Uhaul place and tell them both that they are liable for the negligence leading to damage to your car and for negligent repair work. Tell them the cost of proper repairs is $1200 and if they refuse to pay to have the proper repairs, you would be filing suit against both of them for negligence and seek not only repair costs, but also your costs for loss of use of your car (including rental fees) that resulted from their negligence.

If they refuse to pay for the repairs, then you need to file suit against both of them in civil court and let the court decide which one of them owes you how much.