Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience in various consumer protection areas
19958803

I received a call from someone whom said he was from metro

Customer Question

I received a call from someone whom said he was from metro mediations stating that in 2012 i received a on line loan and never payed back and that i was being arrested unless i made payments. He put me on hold for about 3 mins stating he would talk with the company to see how much they would accept in payments. I was told i had to make the first payment before 11 am the next day or a warrent would be issued for my arrest. I called the next day and asked for a copy of loan agrreement to be faxed to me and received nothing. Is this legit
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Can you tell me what state this is in?

.

Do you ever remember taking out an online loan around 2012?

.

.

thanks

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

If you never took out a loan, then this is likely a scam because under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, it is illegal for a debt collector to threaten criminal charges against someone for a money debt, even if it is valid. These scammers have somehow obtained records of people who may have taken out loans in the past and then they try to convince them that they remain unpaid.

.

They then threaten criminal actions, like having the person arrested on a warrant, which is illegal, to try to scare them into making a payment to them, usually through some untraceable source like Western Union, Money Pak or even Paypal..

.

.

thanks