Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

First Select Inc. started wage garnishment from me.

Customer Question

First Select Inc. started wage garnishment from me. Affidavit of wage summons for 13yrs old time-barred debt was give to my job, i didn't receive information on a court date. There are taking 15% of my pay. If I showed up court I could let the judge know this a time-barred debt, and I was provided that this a debt I occurred. What is my course of action to stop this?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You need to file an objection to garnishment and present evidence they did not obtain a court judgment in time within the statute of limitations and as such the garnishment is illegal. IF you prove they are collecting on an illegal or improper judgment that was obtained beyond the statute of limitations, you are not only entitled to all of the money back, but also attorney's fees and up to three times your losses for punitive damages for them filing an illegal garnishment action.

I would suggest thus, using a local attorney to file to extinguish the garnishment and vacate any judgment and seek damages against them for their improper actions.