How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 16361
Experience:  13 years experience in Consumer Protection law, in particular construction law and auto repo law
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband has dementia and doesn't know what he is doing. s

Customer Question

my husband has dementia and doesn't know what he is doing. his checking acoount is what we pay the bills with,I have made them out for him for 20 yrs, and he just signed them,he had 4,000 balance well a week ago he went to another bank and transferred it to the new bank but he transferred 20,000 which wasn't in it I just called the automated service at his old bank and it said 16,000.00 overdrawn,how do I get this straightened out as I have the monthly bills to make out, do I go to the bank to get power of attorney and which bank?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there -


You cannot get power of attorney through the bank or from the bank (either of the banks). What you must do is have your husband sign a power of attorney over to you and that power of attorney can be as limited just these situations with the banks or it can be a broad long lasting document that gives you complete power and control over all of his financial affairs, medical affairs, business affairs, etc.


This is a fairly straightforward one or two page legal document that you can actually hire a local attorney to prepare for you OR YOU CAN engage someone online to prepare the document for you (I can actually prepare such a document for you that when complete, you can print it off and arrange for signature and notarization (there is an additional services fee for me to actually prepare this legal document for you and if you are interested, please send your email information in the next response box(so I can send you an additional services price offer after after pressing a positive rating so I will be paid for my time assisting you with the answer this evening (I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating in the answer box above at the top of this page). Once the document is prepared, printed and signed and notarized on your end, you can take it to each of the banks and they must then legally cooperate with you in place of your husand in order to straighten out these serious account issues.





Related Consumer Protection Law Questions