Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years of proefessional experience
16823287

Can an insurance company cancel the life insurance i have

Customer Question

Can an insurance company cancel the life insurance i have been paying on for 11 years.
The insurance was for paying my mortgage if I should die. The policy was through my mortgage holder who picked the insurance company. I have contacted the ins. co. And they indicated that it was not supporting this any more , a company decision was made to do this. The mortgage co. informs me that other people who had this type of insurance were also affected.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

No this is not allowed. You can sue the insurance compnay for breach of contract or wrongful repudiation of the policy. You should be able to recover all premiums paid plus accrued interest as damages. Alternatively, you can also try to force them to comply fully with the policy terms.

If this answers your question, please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow up questions thereafter at no charge. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

If you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place.

You may request me in the future on new and unrelated questions by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".

Thank you for using Just Answer.