Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

On July 17th of this year I received an estimate on

Customer Question

On July 17th of this year I received an estimate on replacing tile floors in two bathrooms in my home. Tile colors were agreed to and I wrote a check for one half the total cost of the project. This was an oral agreement, and the work was promised on September the 4th or 5th of September. This work still hasn't been done, and the other party has not answered my phone calls, or requests to return my calls.
This agreement was made in good faith and payment made in response to an advertisement in the Houston Chronicle by the provider who has been in business for several years.
What are my options here? I would like a refund so that I can seek this service from another company.
Jack Atkins
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You need to first file a complaint with the Houston PD for theft by fraud or deception, since he took your money and now cannot be found or is not answering phone calls. Second, you need to file a complaint with the Texas Attorney General Consumer Protection Unit and have them investigate and most times they can recover your money that you paid.

Finally, if the Texas AG cannot recover your money or Houston PD (or Harris County Sheriffs) cannot find him to arrest him or resolve the matter, you have a right to sue him in court for breach of contract and get a court judgment against him to recover your money.