Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I recently applied mortgage and they told me my average

Customer Question

I recently applied for a mortgage and they told me my average credit score is 685. I use AMEX CreditSecure to monitor my credit report. They show my scores to be 741,750,750. I know there are difference formulas for calculating the score but this seems like a huge difference. Can anyone explain why they may be so different and if there is a way to estimate my score by the different methods?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The issue is that nobody can tell you how your credit score is calculated by any company because each credit bureau has their calculation method copyrighted and protected as confidential proprietary information. If you had a mortgage company with that large of a difference in credit scores from what the major three credit bureaus have, they are using an off brand credit bureau and you need to get to a new mortgage company and when you go you need to bring in your credit report from the major 3 credit bureaus.

There have been people out there who claim to tell you exactly how the credit bureaus calculate the scores, but they are making it up because the credit bureaus keep those calculation methods a closely guarded secret (like the formula for Coca-Cola).