Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

After being in a car dealership in MD 4hrs, I had sign a few

Customer Question

After being in a car dealership in MD for about 4hrs, I had sign a few papers just so I could go home and was hoping to iron things out the next day only to find out I already apparently bought the car. So in less than 9 hrs later I'm told although I never picked up the car that it is now mine. What options do I have?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under MD law, the courts hold that when people sign written contracts, they are bound to the contracts that they sign. The court imputes the party who signs a contract with knowledge of the contents and agreement to the terms in the contract they signed.

Even though you never take possession of the car, if you signed a contract to purchase it, then you can be bound to that contract. You have to seek to obtain appropriate financing and if you cannot qualify for financing on reasonable terms then you have a right to cancel the contract. However, if you are offered reasonable financing, which is deemed at the average market rates, then you could be sued by the dealer to complete the contract.

The best thing to do is go into the dealership and tell them that you were coerced to sign the contract when you wanted to return the next day and that you did not agree to the terms or the financing agreement and seek to cancel the contract on those terms (unless you can use that to get a 0%-2%, very low financing rate, which would benefit you). Other than negotiating at this point, I am sorry to say that is why courts tell people every day to make sure you read everything you sign before you sign it and do not sign it if you do not intend to be bound by it later.