Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.
17897874

I have received a call from "Billy" informing me that I have

Customer Question

I have received a call from "Billy Adams" informing me that I have won $5.8 million dollars from Publishers Clearing House. To receive this money I must send a check for $800 FedEx to Fab***** ***** (supposedly a banker) as insurance before the check is signed.Then thy say "Henry Escarmin and Helen Rosen" will come to my residence Monday morning at 10 am to give me a certified check and accompany me to my bank to deposit it.Fab***** *****'s address is*****, Apt. G-2, Myrtle Beach, S.C. 29577.Are you familiar with a scam such as this?Ruth xxxx
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney and former asst prosecutor, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

As you know, something which is too good to be true is, generally, not. Also, I am sure you suspect this is one of those times. Unfortunately, I am absolutely sure that there is no prize waiting for you from these people.

This is positively a scam. It is known as an "Advance Fee Scam".

Just remember:

1. You can not win a sweepstakes or lottery you did not enter.

2. No legitimate sweepstakes asks winners to pay upfront to release the winnings.

3. If they were genuinely holding money belonging to you should be able to tell them to just deduct the taxes, insurance, courier fee (all red flags, by the way) and send you a net check.

Do not send any money or otherwise respond. They are trying to steal from you.

Here is an online warning from the FTC:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/youarehere/pages/pdf/FTC-Fraud-Scams-The-Winner-Is.pdf

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you online with me?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.