LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  I have more than 25 years experience in the legal profession.
15277592

I paid a bill that was in collection (didn't realize it was

Customer Question

I paid a bill that was in collection (didn't realize it was outstanding) and the credit, a collection agency refuses to show it as paid on my credit report because I refused to pay another bill with that agency because it wasn't documented and I disputed the amount supposedly owed.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You have two options. You can sue the collection agency for failing to mark the debt as paid, or you can legally demand to make a not in your credit file that the debt has been paid by you in full. The credit reporting agencies must allow you to make a note to your credit report hen you claim there is a mistake.

Here's how to contact the three major credit bureaus to ask about or obtain your credit report or credit score and make corrections, or for any other reason:

Equifax:(###) ###-####(general) or***-***-**** (fraud); P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374; www.equifax.com

Experian:(###) ###-####(general and fraud); PO Box 2002, Allen, TX 75013, www.experian.com.

TransUnion:(###) ###-####(general) or***-***-**** (fraud); P.O. Box 2000, Chester, PA 19022; www.transunion.com.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug