Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney 40 plus years private practice. Real Estate, Wills, Trusts, Injury claims. Still active.
18215332

Am I able to dispute Duke energy bill? There are close to

Customer Question

Am I able to dispute Duke energy bill? There are close to 1000.00 worth of charges that are from first energy that I did not approve. I do not know who signed me up. There is no way anyone would have 2 energy companies servicices for their home. It is like paying twice every month. I have sent a dispute letter to first energy and one to Duke energy....to no avail and no help. Duke is threatening to disconnect my services. I was on a payment plan and paid it monthly I was late by 3 days the last month and now I can't go on another plan.I cannot get anyone at neither company to listen to me. I have had Duke energy for 24 years and have always paid my bill. My bill is over 2000.00 dollars andni don't have that type of money to pay to keep them from disconnection not to mention over a 1000.00 of the bill has been put on there fraudulent ly without my permission to this other energy company. Please...do I have any recourse. My see ices will be disconnected in 4 days
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Your energy bill with Duke may be disputed. Something definitely does not sound right. First, only one utility is authorized to service a given area. Second, utilities do not disconnect service for being three days late. Something is out of whack in your situation. Your utilities are regulated by The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO). A complaint may be filed and that is what you should do. See: http://www.puco.ohio.gov/puco/index.cfm/contact-us/contact-us-form/?intype=complaint . Be prepared to send them copies of the bills that you are questioning.

I hope that this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. That is the only way I will be compensated for assisting you. Bonuses are appreciated too. I will be happy to answer follow-up questions which relate to this one. Also, since we are not acting as your attorney be sure to confirm our information with a local attorney. Thanks for choosing JUST ANSWER.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe because I was on a payment plan....I was 3 days late on the payment plan and they won't let me go back on a payment plan. They are demanding the entire amount or Duke will disconnect. However that entire amount includes close to a thousand dollars to another energy company.so I have a total amount from them and a amount from Duke. I can't afford to pay the entire bill and inhave been trying to work something out. And I am frantic
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry, but we can't act on your behalf to stop a shut off.

We are only an information service. You must use PUCO complaint procedure and do it immediately.