Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I Just received another phone call from someone in the

Customer Question

I Just received another phone call from someone in the federal consumer protection agency, claiming that I have won a large sum of money from publishers clearing house $485,000 dollars to be exact. But, they say by law I must pay $750 to be refunded in order to get the funds is this a scam? sounds like it to me.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

YES, this is a scam. Your instinct is correct. There is no such thing as the " federal consumer protection agency" even. The closest federal agency is the Bureau of Consumer Protection, which does not participate in or endorse any type of sweepstakes or lottery.

This is a scam - they are going to try to send you a fake check (which would end up emptying your account), steal your identity, have you pay "upfront" in taxes/fees, etc, or a combination of the three.

IGNORE.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.