Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I recently stayed at a hotel with my 2 dogs. Their policy

Customer Question

I recently stayed at a hotel with my 2 dogs. Their policy stated that if your pets cause any noise complaints you will have to remove them off property. Of course we get a complaint minutes before we were about to checkout. Anyways to make a long story short. As soon as we were notified we immediately apologized and said we were leaving anyway and just needed a few minutes to gather our belongings. One of the hotel managers found it necessary to stand in front of our door with a security guard and wait for us. I asked her to please not do that be we are leaving and complying with your policy. She then refused to let me close my door by sticking her foot in and then pulling the dead bolt so the door cannot shut. If I am complying with hotel policy by trying to leave with the dogs , does she have to the right to make me keep my door open? Nowhere in the policy does it say that I will get kicked out but just that the dogs must be removed from property. I was so shocked and confused bc I didn't understand why I was being treated like a criminal.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Legally, while they may have overreacted, once they ask any customer to leave they have a right to remain with the customer until they do so. It sounds as though here they did overreact as you were leaving anyhow and told them that, plus they should have seen that on your registration forms. However, legally they did nothing unlawful I am afraid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I wasn't being asked to leave. Just the dogs must be removed from property, which is what I was trying to do. It was extremely traumatizing being treated like a criminal with security guards standing at my door. So it's completely legal for her to invade my privacy by holding my door so I can't close it to finish packing when I am complying with their policy?

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, it is not an invasion of privacy at the point where you were asked to remove the dogs. They had a right to stand there to make sure you complied. Now, I agree with you that this does not sound like they handled it in the best manner, but while I wish I could tell you they handled it in an unlawful manner, I cannot do so as they had every right to make sure you complied in removal of the dogs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
even if no where on the policy it states that they can or will come into your room without permission? All it states is that you will be asked to remove your pet from property. Thats it. I didn't agree to them doing what they did.

Thank you for your reply.

I am afraid it does not need to say specifically in their policy they would come to the room. It is their property and you allegedly violated the rule and they can insure that you leave, which means that legally (again I am not talking about how they could have and should have handled it better, just what the law allows) they could stand there until you remove the pets from the property.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there's absolutely nothing I can do for her intimating me and humiliating me where everyone on my floor can hear this going on. I didn't mention it to her bc I don't demand special treatment but I am actually a regular VIP guest at this hotel where mostly everything is provided for me complimentary and I get late check out at 1pm vs 11am. It was 11am and she said I had to leave bc it's past checkout and I told her my checkout is at 1pm and she said not anymore bc VIP is not allowing any late checkouts today. Complete lie she made up bc she thought I am technically not a guest after 11 so she can do what she's doing. Anyways, I am so traumatized. She had me in tears at one point pleading with her and asking her to please not treat me like a criminal and to stop harassing me. So is this just horrific customer service? And she has every right to humiliate, harass, intimidate, and lie and tell me my checkout is not what it is?

I am afraid all you can do is file a complaint with corporate offices about the treatment your received. So the recourse you have is negotiating with corporate, but there is no legal action you can take I am afraid for your being traumatized, because even if there were a legal action it would be breach of contract and all you could get would be the actual costs of the room.

What you have is a customer service complaint that has to be filed with corporate, but there is no legal action you can take here.