Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My question is this: We cosigned loan of $10,000 daughter to

Customer Question

My question is this:
We cosigned for a loan of $10,000 for our daughter to take a 2 weeks course at a career bootcamp in 2008. She deferred the loan while she attended a 4 year college for a degree (loan is now around $30.00). She filed bankruptcy (self, no lawyer) and the loan fell on us.
Can we put this loan back on her?
Can the instution change the type of loan (from personal loan to student loan) after the fact, so that they can put it on the cosigner?
Sallie Mae does not offer student loans to this instution because the course only runs 2-3 weeks.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize. Thanks in advance for not "shooting the messenger."

No, there is no way to "toss the loan back on her." Unless you and her had a specific contract that specified that she would indemnify you for any liability under co-signing, then there is no way to toss the loan back to her, or pursue her. As a co-signor, one stands liable for the debt.

The institution charges the same type of loan - same contractual terms of the fees, interest, and money due.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.