Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

What risk is involved in signing new/next car lease BEFORE

Customer Question

What risk is involved in signing new/next car lease BEFORE "end of term lease inspection" on current lease? The VW dealership is pressuring me to pull the trigger on my new/next lease tomorrow (primarily due to a Labor Day corporate rebate that ends tomorrow),
however I've not yet had my current car inspected (or turned it in). If I agree to the new lease terms before finding out what repairs I might be responsible for on the old lease will it come back to haunt me? Limit my ability to negotiate what I'm responsible
for repairing?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Jawaad Ahmed replied 1 year ago.

What is your deadline and length of answer,

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

What risk is involved in signing new/next car lease BEFORE "end of term lease inspection" on current lease?

Response 1: You may be liable for anything wrong with the car that should have been discovered during the required inspection. It is not prudent to sign a new lease WITHOUT this inspection.

The VW dealership is pressuring me to pull the trigger on my new/next lease tomorrow (primarily due to a Labor Day corporate rebate that ends tomorrow), however I've not yet had my current car inspected (or turned it in). If I agree to the new lease terms before finding out what repairs I might be responsible for on the old lease will it come back to haunt me?

Response 2: Yes.

Limit my ability to negotiate what I'm responsible for repairing?

Response 3: Yes, it would. DO NOT be pressured into a new lease without this inspection. It is in your interest to have the inspection done before signing for another term.