Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.
17897874

I brought a car two weeks ago. I took it to an certified

Customer Question

I brought a car two weeks ago. I took it to an certified dealer to check and found out it has major engine problems. What can I do? I purchased it from a used car dealership.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you buy the car with a warranty or was it purchased as-is?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you online with me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as is , as car is a 2003 acura
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Unfortunately, when you purchase a car as-is you are basically letting the seller off the hook for any maintenance problems which may exist at the time of the sale or may develop shortly after. Assuming the seller has not switched out equipment or rolled back the odometer, they have no liability to you for any problems with the vehicle once you drive it off the lot.

That is why many people who buy an as-is vehicle will insist, before they buy, that it be inspected by their own mechanic.

You can file a consumer complaint with the state attorney general. They will investigate and take appropriate action.

I hope this is helpful in answering your question even if it was not the answer you were hoping to receive. If you have more follow up questions please let me know. It is never a problem.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Format error