Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney,16 years experience in consumer protection areas
19958803

A property insurance company has 60 days to cancel a policy.

Customer Question

A property insurance company has 60 days to cancel a policy. Do you count the 60 days from the time they sign the letter of cancellation or the day you receive the letter? (assuming no other communication by phone or email). Letter was sent my first call mail which is picked up daily.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Under VT Statutes Title 8: Chapter(###) ###-####it states that the insurer notice of cancellation:

.

""(a) No notice of cancellation of a fire, casualty, marine, or multi-peril policy of insurance, unless otherwise provided and controlled by subchapter 2 of chapter 113 of this title, shall be effective unless mailed or delivered by the insurer to the named insured at least 45 days prior to the effective date of cancellation, "

.

So since the applicable date is the mailing date, then it is 60 days from the postmark date of the notice that sets the applicable time limit not necessarily the date on the notice.

.

.

thanks