Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.
17897874

I was contacted saturday by phone from someone that said i

Customer Question

i was contacted saturday by phone from someone that said i owe them money. i do not recognize the firms name i believe it was cardinal management. they said i could pay them today $620.00 or they will take me to court and garnish my wages or put a lean on my property. i told them i do not remember the situation. they said they have a picture of my drivers license,and signature. i do not know how to find out if they are legitimate or not. i told them i would have to investigate it and they said i had my chance and they will now take it to court any suggestions
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and look forward to helping you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you do not recognize or recall this debt do not pay anything. You have the legal right to demand written evidence of the obligation. If they refuse then they are in violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

This is a common scam script. So, it is very important you do not send money now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what should i do at this point i do not want it to go to court if i give u a phone no. to reach them do u contact these people
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

No, I can not contact them for you. Send them a letter demanding written evidence of the debt.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how would i be able to contact them if i only talked to them on the phone
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Tell them, if they call again, you will not pay them without an address and written evidence of the debt

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?