Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs exp with Consumer Law issues
19127644

I am a PA resident that is employed in NJ. A PA company has

Customer Question

I am a PA resident that is employed in NJ. A PA company has a judgment against me, and got a foreign judgment in NJ. Can they garnish my wages in NJ?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. Yes, as long as you earn more than $48/week and the foreign judgement was domesticated in NJ, which from what you described it has been, your wages can be garnished with some limitations as to percentages. You can see a good discussion of the maximum percentage based on your disposable earnings by going to the following link: http://www.jenkinsclayman.com/wage-garnishment-in-new-jersey

The percentage, as you will see, depends on your income as compared to the Federal poverty level.

Please feel free to ask for clarification after you have had a chance to review the percentage discussion at the link I provided.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 25th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit(paid) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.