Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I recieved a phone call from DC allegedly stating i won 585k

Customer Question

I recieved a phone call from Washington DC allegedly stating i won 585k and had to place a 1 percent security deposit and when i got back to NY that deposit would be reimbursed.This alleged custom agent gave me his name and as Richard Ford with a security code to validate my prize.? His phone # ***** These monies were being held by customs because the dollar amount of the prize. The alleged customs agents name was Perry Fisher badge #us 1987 and his # *****(###) ###-####or his direct #(###) ###-####He stated this award was from American Sweepstakes Promotion. Please advise at your earliest convenience by E-mail or call my cell at(###) ###-#### ***** you for your anticipated help in advance.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.
Stop - you are being scammed. See here:
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/you-havent-really-won
This is not real. How do we know?
1) No US government agency ever is involved in lotteries/sweepstakes.
2) If you have not entered, how could you win?
3) No lottery/sweepstakes win would EVER require the winner to pay fees/taxes/etc up front.
4) There is no such thing as the "American Sweepstakes Promotion."
I am sorry to say that this is a SCAM. Please DO NOT call them back, and definitely DO NOT send them any money or give them your personal information!
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honeset with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negativ ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.