Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  25 yrs. of experience in employment law, real estate and business law, family law, criminal defense and immigration.
20073497

My mother's car is presently at a collision repair service

Customer Question

My mother's car is presently at a collision repair service center. Shortly thereafter, she fell, was hospitalized and diagnosed with dementia. When repairs were completed, I went to pay the deductible, additional charges not covered by insurance and to p/u her car. Taking over her affairs, with a power of attorney and everything, I was met with difficult, un-flexible payment options (I did not have enough $ on a cc, I did have a check but I had lost my license so while I waited for replacement, had my old one and a pic of the current one on my phone - again not acceptable. Needs with Mom consumed my time and then on Thursday, Aug 20, she get a certified letter that since that first day to present, they've decided to charge her $60/day storage fee and if car not picked up by Friday, Aug 21, they will sell it for the lien amount of $1,600+! I first read the letter on Saturday, Aug 22. They are not open on Saturdays or Sundays so my first opportunity to respond will be when they open this morning. Do I have any rights that can force them to drop the storage fees and furthermore, am I just toast and vehicle-less? Can they give such little notice between letter and action and then legally sell Mom's car? How do I approach them this morning and what are the best and worst scenarios I should prepare myself to face?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer,

I am sorry to hear about all the trouble that the auto body shop is giving you,

Did you show them a copy of the Power of Attorney and try to pay with a check drawn on your mother's checking account ?

Thank you and I look forward to your reply,

ANDREA

I should have also asked you,

1. On what date was your mother's car left at the shop for repairs ?

2. When did the body shop notify you that your mother's car was ready to be picked up ?

3. Was any warning written on the written repair order given to you or your mother of the shop's policy of selling vehicles if they remained at the shop for a certain number of days after the repairs were performed ?

Thank you,

ANDREA