Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I have a labor force contracted by me to VCC a building

Customer Question

i have a labor force contracted by me to VCC a building general contractor. VCC agreed to pay me all labor costs but failed to pay on schedule. When I complained they threatened to take my crew and hire them directly. is this OK. I feel I am protected
by piracy laws of the state of Texas. Please advise
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

This could be deemed breach of contract. it is not "piracy" in Texas. If they had a contract with you to perform work, then they are bound to pay as the contract states. If they are not paying, then you have a right to sue for breach of contract. You also need to review your contract to determine if there is a "non-competition" or "non-solicitation" clause in the contract, because if there isn't one, the only claim you would have against them is breach of contract and you can sue for the full value of the contract if they hire away your employees and stop doing business with you (so you can still get damages, you just cannot stop them from taking your employees without a non-compete or non-solicitation clause in your contract).