Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Son goes to college and was involved in an incident that let

Customer Question

Son goes to college and was involved in an incident that let to a disciplinary finding last September. After a long review process he was allowed to return to school in the Spring and given 10 days to complete the disciplinary course. However, unknown to him (but well known to the school) the course takes 4-5 weeks to complete. Thus, two weeks into the semester he was suspended for not completing the course -- and subsequently billed for the entire semester. Whether by intertia or design, he was suckered into briefly returning to school left with the bill for the semester was has not allowed to attend.
We've been meeting with and talking to administrators but they seem to be using delays as a strategy (it allows them to forget and/or amend promises made in meetings and/or phone conversations.
Now the new semester is beginning and they are asking for even more money than we had agreed to. Do we have any legal recourse?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

Response: Oh yes, you do. He cannot be given 10 days to complete a course that the school knew before hand takes 4-5 weeks to complete. His suspension for not completely the course in ten days is not warranted—is highly unfair and unjust. He should be reimbursed for education expenses paid but not used due to the unwarranted suspension. His payments for this semester should be waived—should be offset with the payments from last semester that he did not use.
If the school keeps giving you runaround, you need to retain a local Attorney who handles education/school issues to assist you in dealing with the school and if necessary file lawsuit against the school for this unfair practice and unjust decision.
You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys:
http://www.lawyers.com
http://www.justia.com
http://www.findlaw.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response, which I'm glad to say confirms what I suspected. I have a final phone conference with one of the administrators we have been speaking to tomorrow morning. Are they any legal terms/keywords you can give me that I can use in the conversation that will suggest I have a full understanding of our legal rights?
Response: Arbitrary and capricious come to mind.