Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.
17897874

I NEED TO TELL I LET A MESSAGE ABOUT FACEBOOK YESTERDAY THE

Customer Question

I NEED TO TELL I LET A MESSAGE ABOUT FACEBOOK YESTERDAY THE GOT TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE LATER IN THE DAY SAYING THEY WERE WITH FACEBOOK AND I NOW WON 850,000 AND NOT TO CONTACT A 3RD PARTY OR I WOULD LOSE IT THEY ARE ASKING FOR 2200 SO THEY CAN DELIVERY IT I TOLD THE I DONT HAVE IT BUT THEY KEEP HOUNDING ME I MADE ONE REPORT OF THEM YESTERDAY AND NOW TODAY I EVEN ASK THEM FOR A NUMBER TO CALL THE HEADQUATERS WHICH THEY WOULD NOT GIVE MEIT DEFFENTLY NEEDS A GOOD TEAM TO EXamine this place
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
As you know, something which is too good to be true is, generally, not. Also, I am sure you suspect this is one of those times. Unfortunately, I am absolutely sure that there is no prize waiting for you from these people.
This is positively a scam. It is known as an "Advance Fee Scam".
Just remember:
1. You can not win a sweepstakes or lottery you did not enter.
2. No legitimate sweepstakes asks winners to pay upfront to release the winnings.
3. If they were genuinely holding money belonging to you should be able to tell them to just deduct the taxes, insurance, courier fee (all red flags, by the way) and send you a net check.
4. No legitimate lottery or sweepstakes notifies major winners by text, FB message or regular mail.
Do not send any money or otherwise respond. They are trying to steal from you.
Here is an online warning from the FTC:
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/youarehere/pages/pdf/FTC-Fraud-Scams-The-Winner-Is.pdf
You can also file a complaint online with the FBI at www.IC3.gov.
I hope this is helpful to you. If you have follow up questions feel free to ask. It is never a problem.
Best regards.