CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
71563194

I have t mobile simple plan show on their website Simple

Customer Question

I have t mobile simple plan show on their website Simple Choice is perfect for Costa Rica. With Simple Choice, unlimited data and texting is included at no extra charge.i also call the t mobile custom service before I went to the tour to costa rica the
agent told me i am very fine everything covered with my plan what i have , when after my trip I got a my statement shocking me my bill $2005 I looked the bill said data use in Costa Rica But i called and verify before my trip and also indicate on their website
its covered I call the customer service they said that's the charge they don't know why they never have any warring said has roaming charge I am here to seeking help fight for the bill
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

This is a billing dispute (complaint over applicability of charges). There is a series of escalating things you can do to deal with this situation.

• First: start with the company's customer service and dispute the claim. Keep your complaint in writing. If you speak to someone by phone, follow up promptly with a "confirmation letter" (see my note below).
  • Second: (you can do this at the same time), if you paid by credit card (not debit card) you can open a dispute with your credit card carrier (follow the instructions with your credit card company). (Some banks do allow for charge disputes on your debit card - but not all, the laws are not the same and debit card purchases do not have the same protections, if you paid by debit card, contact your bank and see if they do have dispute resolution remedies).
  • Third: open a dispute with the BBB. The BBB offers consumer dispute resolution that is fast, free to consumers, and is usually effective, they have no enforcement authority, but all BBB disputes result in a public report regarding resolution so businesses do respond to them. You can open a BBB dispute here: bbb.org/consumer-complaints/file-a-complaint/get-started
  • Fourth: if you believe that the company is acting fraudulently (not just charging high rates), (Since you confirmed with them prior to your trip that your service covered Costa Rica this would make a viable complaint) you can report them to the CA Attorney General. The AG's office does not prosecute individual claims (so they will not get your money back for you), but they will investigate and potentially take administrative and/or criminal action against the company. You can file a consumer complaint here: https://oag.ca.gov/contact/consumer-complaint-against-business-or-company
  • Finally: you can file a small claims action against them for breach of contract. Here is a link to the California small claims court: http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-smallclaims.htm

Confirmation letters: Keep written records of all communications - so if you speak to someone by phone, promptly send a follow up "confirmation letter" summarizing your conversation, who you spoke to, when, and any agreements you reached. Keep copies of your outgoing correspondence, as well as anything that you receive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you help me to write a sample complain letter regarding this matter so I can send it to all above you suggested places?
thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
every month i paid regular bill only around $180 this time i special called before i travel its also show on their website this( I have this simple plan )
Outside the U.S., Mexico, and Canada
Our Simple Choice plan. It travels well.
Seeing the world and staying in touch is simple. With the Simple Choice plan, you step off the plane in 120+ countries and destinations and you’ve got unlimited data and texting. All at no extra charge. And calls? They’re just 20 cents a minute. Costa Rica is cover under their south and central americaThanks,
Jane

Unfortunately, I cannot write a letter for you (we offer "general legal information only" and cannot provide you with formal legal services.

The link to the California Small Claims Court does give you a template for a demand letter however, and you can use that as format for drafting your demand letter (go to the sub-link "suing somebody" and it will walk you through the process - the court's site is actually very good).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did you look at all my file do i have any chance to drop the charge you think?

Dear Customer, I cannot give you a formal legal opinion regarding your matter, and I cannot advise you on the specifics of your case.

The above information is the general legal framework that you have to work with as it would apply to your situation. If you were told that your plan covered Costa Rica, and it did not, then you should not be forced to pay additional fees for it. But I cannot give you a formal opinion regarding the specifics of your conversation or the details of your contract as that is outside the scope of this general information forum.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok.. thanks

You are welcome, and I do wish you the best with this matter.

Thank you for using our forum, and please do not forget to rate my service so that I can receive credit for assisting you.

Thank you again, and again I wish you the best.

Bill