socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this

Customer Question

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question..but you can either answer or tell me where to go for my answer. I am part of a small church and our property is being sold so we moved to another location. I have been trying to get my Comcast service disconnected. When I first called to disconnect service, I wanted one of our phone lines to be ported to Vonage. Comcast told me not to disconnect services yet as that would interrupt the porting option. So, it took 3 weeks to port the phone over. Then I again tried to disconnect service. They told me I had to have a PIN number. In order to get the PIN number, I had to have them mail that to me. AND I could not have the address changed so they e-mailed right to our new mailbox,,,have to have a PIN to do that as well. So another 13 days for the letter to go through the forwarding process. Now I call again to get the service disconnected. Now they tell me it is another 60 days before I will stop getting billed. The person helping me has expedited to just 30 days for disconnect. However, I am still paying for all of the services for 2 months that I have not even had the equipment in operation. And while they were porting the number, we could not receive any calls or make any calls during that time. So now the total of 2 months of extra bills is between $800 and $900. Like I said we are a small organization and this is quite expensive to not being able to get any services this whole time and just to pay extra. Any ideas of how we can lower our last bills to Comcast? or better yet not be charged at all?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.

Write a letter to Comcast, customer service, explain as you have done here, that you attempted to cancel service on [date], and the company's records should note this fact, that you have been given the run around since, and so you you are not liable for any charges after the date when you notified them that you were canceling.

This time period would not include the three weeks during which you agree to maintain service. But, from that point forward, you aren't responsible for Comcast's failure to terminate your services, because you terminated service legally, and from that point forward, you aren't liable for charges.

Let them sue you -- they'll lose, based on your explanation.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!