Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed in PA & NJ, Experienced attorney.
18572087

I live in Pa and bought a car in NJ, does the dealership

Customer Question

I live in Pa and bought a car in NJ, does the dealership have to inform me that they do not guarantee out of state inspection? (I contacted a lawyer in Phila. and he said there should be a paper stating this!
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I am a licensed New Jersey and a Pennsylvania licensed professional and will do my best to assist you with your concerns.

I also practice in Philadelphia, and I have to politely disagree with the information provided. While the vehicle has to pass inspection in New Jersey where the vehicle is located, the dealer cannot guarantee and out of state inspection. Under consumer protection laws you can claim that there is an implied warranty of having this car be fit for a particular purpose (specifically for being able to be used on the roadways and be inspected), but I have just reviewed the statutes for such a paper and do not see anything akin to a guarantee.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.