Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My bank will not refund money due me from an unauthorized

Customer Question

My bank will not refund money due me from an unauthorized deduction made by a hacker using a fraudulent pay pal number thus causing my account to go negative hundreds of dollars. They, the bank, claim that because I had a pay pal account it was my fault. My PP acct. was never tied to any of my bank accounts and when I contacted PP they told me that the person who was debiting my bank account was fraudulent. How do I resolve this matter?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
Response: If your bank is ignoring you, then you need to file complaint against the bank with Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. This is a relatively new agency, but it has been very successful in going after the banks. The agency would help you to deal with the bank in resolving the issue. Click on the link below to file your complaint:
http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/