Samuel-II
Samuel-II, Lawyer
Experience:  Practice of law for 20 years
10707909

I purchased carpeting bedrooms, stairs and hallway. Seams

Customer Question

I purchased carpeting for three bedrooms, stairs and hallway. Seams show. Company refuses to replace the carpeting. Carpeting company is located in LeRoy, MN. I live in Lime Springs, IA. Do I have any recourse?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

If the work was shabby or not done complete to your full satisfaction, then I suggest you should write the company a letter and tell them if they do not come and replace the carpet and do it correctly with no seams showing, you will have not other option but to bring the matter to court so you can get a full refund. And that you will ask the court to order them to also pay any and all of your legal fees associated with the court action as their refusal to cooperate is the only reason it is in the courts.

Mail that certified with a return receipt requested. Depending on the amount, you may be able to sue in Small Claims Court. You can sue in Iowa since this is where the job was done and they do business in the state of Iowa. The cap on a small claims suit is $5000. If the amount you will sue for is above that, then you will need to go to the next level court - circuit/superior and it is not as easy to sue there.

Expert:  Samuel-II replied 1 year ago.

So it may be possible that if you can live with the seams, you may consider negotiating a discount on the carpet installation.